CHURCH S. APOLLINARE
The Church of S. Apollinare dates back to the 14th century even if its origins are probably older than that (the dedication to S. Apollinare, bishop of Ravenna in the fifth century would confirm this).
The roof with two extremely steep slopes is covered with shingles made of alpine wood. In the very simple facade there are three rows of windows and a late Romanesque style portal. Later (19th century) is instead the rose window. At the base of the Romanesque belfry there is a fourteenth century sarcophagus with a sculpture depicting a monk being taken to heaven by angels. During the construction of this building, material was taken from buildings dating back to the Romanesque period; evidence of this can be seen in the walls and pilasters. In particular an epigraph dating back to 23 B.C., one of the oldest artefacts of this type found in Trentino to date.
The interior is divided into two squared areas; each is surmounted by an octagonal dome. Recent restoration work brought to light the remains of a series of frescoes. The three marble altars date back to the eighteenth century whilst the presbytery holds the altar piece of S Apollinare (1517) and the eighteenth century wooden crucifix, which was housed until a few years ago in a shrine in Dos Trento. Finally, not to forget the painting portraying the Madonna and Child, dedicated to Nicolò of Padua (a presumed follower of Giotto).
Opening times8 am – 12 noon / 3pm – 6pm
+39 0461 235625